Madrid. Seville. Granada

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The day at the Museum


Yesterday was a LONG day.
We spent the entire morning at Granada's science museum, how exciting.
Tino had been told that there would be some great shots of architecture, which there were I'm just not as excited by architecture. However, we did see an amazing bird show with hawks and owls- of course everything was in spanish but it was pretty self explanatory. The museum featured a butterfly exhibit in a tropical climate... and the "tropical" part was no lie. I stepped into a 98 degree moist greenhouse and the flashbacks of Houston summers began, by the time we all left the "sauna" we were literally drenched in sweat...at least our pores were cleaned. The photo I have attached is a moth that I found in the exhibit, the largest moth in the world. To put it's size in perspective each wing was about the size of my hand! We then had a quick lunch at the museum around 2 and then went through a very exciting (sarcasm) exhibit on Muslim Science in early Spain. We went merely out of respect to our museum guides, who were very excited about the exhibit and would have felt offended if we had declined. Our guide only spoke spanish; and those who know me well will know that Spanish and Science are too things I do not really understand, but I made an honest effort to stay awake and they had a small showing on the origins of chess which was interesting. After the museum we were all fatigued  by the heat, it was probably 102 degrees outside. Granada is full of cobblestone streets which heat quickly with barely any shade or cloud cover... So our group headed back to the hostel for a 4 hour siesta, which I slept the entire time. Around 8 we headed out to dinner in small groups... the 3 kids that I ate with and I did not know that gratuity is included in spain, and tipped our waiter 7 extra euros, so about a 12 dollar extra tip on a 50 dollar meal. No wonder he liked us so much! After dinner we had another lesson with Tino, he instructed us from about 930 to midnight.... he really can talk a lot but it's all very interesting! Then it was off to bed and the closure of my 7th day in Espana! 

No comments:

Post a Comment