Madrid. Seville. Granada

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Much needed Relaxation-- Saturday

Yesterday I woke up sick. I think it was a combination of dehydration, fatigue, lack of nutrition (etc.) Although they say it is good to drink I am scared of the tap water here in Spain, are guide swears that it is fine but I don't trust it. Also, there is very little tap water available.... so that must be a sign. I have been gulping an average of 6 bottles of water a day (with euros that is defiantly adding up) and still am ALWAYS thirsty. We are always on the go here, its miserably hot outside and even with our siestas I feel very drained; and I am convinced Spain does not believe in fruits and vegetables. Even with my dislike of salads I feel myself craving them... I never realized how lucky I was for the diversity of food in Houston. Vegetables here are very dry and bland and fruit is hard to come across (except for as a dessert). With that all said I was very sick in the morning and refused to move. I literally felt like my veins had a fever; my mouth was drier than the Sahara and everything ached. I was allowed to stay in bed for the morning and I slept a good 5 hours strait. When I woke up I had a light lunch and then joined the group to head to beautiful cathedral near the middle of the old part of Granada. I have some amazing pictures (which are still on my camera) but I will upload soon! We saw the tombs of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella (the Spanish monarchy which sent Christopher Columbus to America!) It was incredibly interesting and somewhat disturbing to view their caskets... but very educational! Later that night we had the most amazing surprise ever!! A traditional Indian bath. I'll admit at first we were all skeptical of the authenticity of a place like this... and how hygienic it would be. A public bath? It sounded disgusting.  We complained to our guide the whole 15 minute walk there... but in our defense it was saturday night in Granada and we were walking through crowds (of kids our age heading to clubs) wearing our flip flops swimsuits and carrying towels; definitely a spectacle. Anyways when we entered the bath it was well worth the trip. The bath had low ceilings, dark lighting, gorgeous fountains, beautiful mosaics and looked as if it was an ancient Roman bath (only indian designs). There were three pools; hot, warm, and cool, a steaming sauna, complimentary 15 minute massages and wonderful hot teas. I was in spa heaven. We stayed there until around 1am and then trooped back to the hotel, soaking wet but relaxed and content. It was the best sleep I've had in weeks...


No comments:

Post a Comment